Please note that some of the content related to the history of this motorcycle may be offensive.
The BMW R61 was used by the Wehrmacht between 1938 and 1941, however many were used until the end of World War II, both with and without a sidecar. This is also the first Wehrmacht model to have rear suspension.
Prior to the R61, BMW had only manufactured “hardtail” motorcycles. Front-suspensions on BMW motorcycles were still a relatively new innovation as well. Incorporation of front and rear suspensions greatly improved safety and handling.
Of the original run of over ~3700 machines, only a handful of BMW R61 bikes remain today. Many were used and destroyed in World War II.